Monday, March 29, 2010

Hawaiian Hikes

After my disastrous run on Friday night in O'ahu, I went with my Dad to 24 Hour Fitness to workout quickly before dinner. Even though I had that awful run earlier that morning, I needed to boost my ego and show myself that I still can run over 2 miles at a time without passing out. I was planning on jogging a few miles, but I started out quick on the dreadmill and saw this:

 Whoa!!!

7:52?? A new mile PR!! Unofficial of course, but it counts to me! I wasn't even pushing it that hard, so I was extremely surprised when I saw it! (Note: I have never really tried to see how fast I could do a mile. For all I know I would probably go .2 then blow out my knee or pull a hammie. Ill stick with the real PRs for longer distances!) I also did another mile to round out the day at an even 7 miles. Not too bad considering the start earlier that day :)



On Saturday and Sunday I went for a few hikes this weekend with my Dad and Step-Mom. I did end up running on Sunday, but giving myself a few days to TRY to adjust to the heat made a huge difference.

Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail (3/27/10)
Distance RT: 2.0 miles
Elevation: about 500 ft.
Time: 1:05

 View from the top of the lighthouse. Yep, the water is that color.....

Makapu'u is a relatively easy hike up a paved path to an amazing outlook and view of their lighthouse. The hike is located on the Southern Windward side of the island, and is a nice hike for all ages because the path is paved all the way to the top. Along the way you can see views of the other Hawaiian Islands (Moloka'i) and whales! I saw a few spouting off in the distance on the way up.....maybe it was Willy....

Just make sure you bring plenty of water and sunscreen. There is little shade and no places to get water on the path! Luckily we brought water, so I didn't feel dehydrated on the way up (a surprise to me). Also, the trade winds blow of the ocean, so there was a constant nice breeze.

View from the top with Dad and Step-Mom

Windward Oahu from lookout

Love the color of the water! Turtles below....

Koko Crater Trail (3/28/10)
Distance RT: 1.13 miles
Elevation: 1208 ft
Time: 1:08:31

After the easy Makapu'u hike yesterday, my Dad and I decided to hike Koko Crater (not to be confused with the smaller Koko Head or Diamond Head in Oahu). This hike is a trail that goes STRAIGHT up Koko Crater and relies on train slats to help you up the crater. This old track was from over 60 years ago when there was a military base at the top.

This hike is STEEP. I mean, there are no switchbacks and you are in the direct sunlight the entire time. I saw one girl getting into a fight with her boyfriend and refused to hike any further. She was only about 1/5th of the way up....


Train tracks help you up the crater

I would have called this the "Stairway to Heaven" but there is apparently another hike with that name already. Just if you were wondering, there were 1048 slats on the way up (1208 ft gained in elevation). Some people were running up and down this thing. I think they have lost their mind!

My Dad and I at the top

The top of the crater had views of Hawaii Kai (South of Waikiki and Honolulu) and surrounding views of the South End of Oahu and Makapu'u. The camera was on the wrong setting, but it was a stunning view.

 
At the top with Garmin. Hawaii Kai in the background

On this hike I would recommend going early in the morning for the best views. Temperatures would also be lower and much easier to take. After all, there is no shade or place to stop on this hike. Be prepared to climb!! Its one HUGE stair-stepper!! Be sure to bring water as well and take your time to not get sick.

On the way down

Side note: If you are wondering, YES, I am completely sore today :( You use different muscles on Koko Crater than in half marathons.....

Evening Run: 5.08 miles/ 50:30 (3/28/10)

At this point I wasn't sore from the Koko Crater hike that morning. The temperature had lowered considerably since earlier in the day, so I knew it was either then or never to get my miles up for the week.



I started running just at sundown around the neighborhood. I did roughly the same path as Friday, but with much better results. Basically, I didn't feel like I was going to die the entire time, and best of all, I didn't need to stop to suck air (!!) I ran at roughly a 10:00 mile pace, which is quite a bit slower than I run in WA state, but given the heat and the few days I have been here, Ill consider it a success.

Happy running everyone, and thanks for the kind words you have posted in the past few days. It really means a lot :)

5 comments:

  1. Very scenic views. And you look fabulous yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for all of the great pictures:) I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself!! It looks absolutely heavenly there!! You are looking good there girl...I would love to have your abs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...those pics are just GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those views are incredible... like postcards!

    What an insane hike (if you can call it that). You're one tough chickie! Glad the runs have improved as well.

    ReplyDelete